lunes, 16 de abril de 2007

Chapter II "Órdenes, Costumbres y Caprichos"


Choices, Choices and Choices...
Isn't life about making decisions?
Now the question will be not only to be aware of the fact that we are free to make choices (of course with some limitations as there are certain things that we do not choose)... but also we may came up with this question: Which is our motivation to make such decisions?
Why do I get up in the morning and go to the teachers' training collage? Why do I choose to get up and not to stay in bed and sleep all the hours I would like to? Why do I brush my teeth instead of going out without doing it?
Well, by answering all these questions we will be finding out why we do certain things and not others...
Furthermore, do we do them because we have to do them? because we are used to doing them? or because we want to? Is our motivation an order? a habit? or just a whim?
However, all this issue is not the most important thing to pay attention to while reading Savater's beautiful chapter II because when we come to think about this kind of decisions (motivated by an order, a habit or a whim) we find that they are not enough for us to make those important and difficult decisions that take us to Ethics...
If we know that someone is used to stealing and he/she does it frequently, will that be right (ethically speaking) just because it is a habit?
If someone is obliged to kill another person just because a person over him tells him to do it, will that be right (ethically speaking) just because it is an order?
Are you sure now that everything you do is a consequence of your own decision? Or you just act because you are "programmed" to do so (programmed by yourself: a whim or programmed by some else: an order or a habit)?
Why have you done that and not something else?
Not only the decision but also the REASON WHY WE MAKE SUCH DECISION IS OURS...

3 comentarios:

Gladys Baya dijo...

When I was just a little younger than you, Alez, I was told "a time will soon start in which you will either have made your choices, or life will make them for you". It sounded a bit puzzling at first, but as years went by I realized the true meaning of such words...

Has such a thing happened to you too? I'd love to know!

And have you started thinking about the orders, habits and whims that "condition" your behaviour as an educator?

LOL,
Gladys

L@ur@ dijo...

I`m agree with you Ale. We are the ones who have that power of deciding on one`s life and we also are responsibles of the consequences that those decisions may bring, as you said. But sometimes we forget that and we tend not to take those responsabilities, don`t we?

AL dijo...

Hi!
What an impressive quotation Gladys! And you are right, at the very first moment it sounds a bit puzzling but I think I can at least grasp the message of those words...
However it is difficult to tell you on the spot if such a thing has happened to me... but I guess that it haven't yet.
I would relate it with those things that happens to us that we cannot choose and, furthermore, if we are not ready yet to face such a situation life (or something out of ourselves) will choose and tell us what to do... for example when very sad things happen to us we find ourselves trying to find something that tells us what to do... and it is in those moments that I would say that we are not choosing, or at least we are not choosing on our own...
But... now that I have thought of what you've written in terms of what I've just mentioned I have to say that actually it have happened to me...

Well I think that's all...

See you tomorrow!

Thank you Lau for your comment! :)

LOL,
AleZ