lunes, 7 de mayo de 2007

Chapter IV "Date La Buena Vida"


As I've written in my previous post, we don't have to forget that orders, habits and whims are just one aspect of the complicated art of taking decisions...
In fact if we decide to make all our decisions giving too much importance to these influences, I would say that we are not going in the right direction, at least if we want to live a good life...
The question here is to being able to distinguish between what someone else wants me to do (orders, customs and so on) and what I actually want... and the only way of knowing what we actually want is to take some time to think about it within ourselves... The only one that can tell you what you really want to do is yourself...
However, we don't have to get confused with "what I actually want" and "the first thing that come into my mind" since we tend to find ourselves giving too much importance to something that does not really deserve it and we end up realising that what we really wanted was not what we have chosen...
So, going back to what Savater says about "giving yourself a Good Life" (Date La Buena Vida) I have to say that he points out something that I find really interesting; he says that the secret of giving yourself a Good Life is to give yourself a Good Human Life... What does it mean? Well I believe that a Good Human Life is one in which we are not alone and we can easily find us exchanging, interacting, sharing and enjoying what we are... Human Beings... And all this can be realised only if we are aware of what we really want and not only if it is good for us but also if it is good for others too, or at least if it does not go against another human being and against the Good Human Life that we want to live...
Finally, there is one thing that I want to add... I really love what Savater says about our Cultural reality and the huge importance that it has in all this issue of having a Good Human Life... There is no humanity without a cultural learning, and there is no cultural learning without the Language... How Nice!!! And at the same time how shocking it is to realise that we are such an important link in this chain! We are Teachers of English (or at least we are doing our best to become teachers)... we are Teachers of a Language! So we don't have to forget that we are a key part in the act of building the cultural learning... and from now on... we will always remember and bare in mind that all the decisions that we take are crucial not only for being a Good Human Being or for building our Good Human Life but also for showing our students that we are all part of this cultural world and as a part of it we all have something to do and something to give...

6 comentarios:

Gladys Baya dijo...

This entry of yours is thick with concepts, Alez! Let me see if I can just focus on a couple of them (that's not my forte, you know! ;-)!)

You've made the point that as teachers of a foreign language we're unavoidably "teachers of culture". And since we've already agreed that most values are culturally bound, are we teachers of Ethics too? 8-0!!!!

One more thought: remember the aims of teaching FLs we discussed last year (in Theory of Education)? How would that relate to all this?

Warmly,

Gladys

PS: one last "souvenir": " you already are the teacher you'll become" (I heard this from a teacher trainer once, though I can't recall his name right now!)

andre dijo...

I love every bit of your entry Ale!!! You've made me reflect even more on what I've read... In my opinion, we're teachers of life!!! Teaching a language is just the perfect excuse!!! :-)
See you tomorrow!
Love,
Andre

Gladys Baya dijo...

Andrea has just reminded me: when I started attending Teacher Training College, a teacher I later learned to look up to welcomed us with the following words: "We understand you're here because you've chosen to be, above all, teachers. English should come only in second place."
What an important message she was giving us then!

Big hug,
Gladys

AL dijo...

I'm so sorry for the delay!!! :(
But I'm back again! :)

Well, I have to say that your comments were very telling!
And yes, I do believe that, as teachers (no matter of what), we are teachers of ethics since we can only understand and learn from any other culture by means of respect for diversity (as John Dewey says)...
We have to show our students that being different is not a problem but a gift and that we can create a better world from our little place in it by being able to understand and learn from others and from what others can give to us...
If I can sing, I will sing for and with you;
If I can read, I will read for and with you;
If I can play, I will play for and with you;
If I have something you don't, just let me know and we will share it...
If I am alive, let's live this life together!

:D

Gladys Baya dijo...

Ale!

Who are you quoting in your last entry? Or have we just discovered the poet in you?

I loved it!

Gladys

AL dijo...

Do you mean the few lines with the "If clauses" Gladys?
Well I've written them myself just because I wanted to show more clearly what I meant..
And I found it great that you've loved it!!
:D
Thank you very much!!
Ale