lunes, 21 de mayo de 2007

Chapter VI: "Aparece Pepito Grillo"


Our obligation, according to Savater, is not to be "imbéciles" (I write it in Spanish since I believe that in this way the meaning is clearer)... What calls my attention is the true meaning of this word and where it comes from... I really love the connection between being "imbécil" and a walking stick... I really believe that not being able to decide by yourself, or not being able to realise what you really want and, as a consequence, not being able to go for what you want mean that you need a walking stick for your soul since you cannot go on without the help of someone else, without relying on someone else's decision, behaviour or will... I have to say that unfortunately there are times in my life when I need (or maybe I make myself believe that I need) a walking stick to go on... those moment in which I would like not to be able to decide... and it is in those moment in which I behave as an "imbécil"... So we need to find a cure for this... we need to find a solution for this... and the secret is in accepting our duty as human beings: taking decisions... we have to take our decisions, we cannot ask someone else to decide for us (well, at least that wouldn't be the best thing to do if we want to live a good human life)... Your decision, You decide... After taking the decision we have to be sure if what we are going to do has to do with what we really want; and then, finally, we will have to develop what Savater calls "good moral taste" in order to be able to reject anything bad (such as telling a lie) almost automatically... But, what happened if we don't follow this advice and we do something "stupid" (something done by someone who is "imbécil")? Well, we feel remorse... we feel guilty for not having done what we know we had to...And here it is when "Pepito Grillo" appears... when our conscience tells us that we have done something wrong, when our freedom makes us feel guilty simple because if we weren't free we wouldn't be able to feel remorse and guilty... that's why when we know we have done something wrong or shameful we tend to excuse ourselves by saying that we have done it because there wasn't any way out, because it hasn't been our decision... All that we have to do is to be honest with ourselves and with the others... and no matter how hard we may try to convince the others and ourselves about something that is not as we want it to be, our "Pepito Grillo" will let us know that even though we might lie to the others we won't ever be able to lie to ourselves...

7 comentarios:

andre dijo...

At times I need a walking stick, as well Ale!! But not just when I do something stupid, but also because I can't do everything by myself... And again the feeling of kinship appears, the feeling that I'm not alone... Not that others will make a decision for me but sometimes I need them to make it with me!
Lol,
Andre

Gladys Baya dijo...

Hi Ale!

Remember our discussions on Psychology last year... Freud saying the super-ego is but the internalization of our parents' values?

To what extent do you think Savater would agree with that view of morality?

By the way, being human unavoidable means being an "mbecile" at times, I guess... Not that this is an excuse to behave so, but we should learn to live with our imperfections, don't you think?

Love,

Gladys

AL dijo...

I'm SO sorry for the delay :(
but, at least, and after all I'm here :)

What an interesting point Gladys!
And I have to say that I do believe that he does believe in Freud's theory about the internalization of our parents' values simply because this beautiful book has been written by him to his son in order to give him in black and white what he believes to be "Ethically" valuable...

And regarding our imperfections I do believe that I have them and maybe I have too many...
I think that after the little exchange we had last class regarding my last weeks you might have realised that I'm fighting with and against my imperfections in order to go on living and doing what I love...

Thank you very much for being there ready to listen what we want to say!

LOL,

Ale

Gladys Baya dijo...

It's always a pleasure to read/listen to you all, Ale! Actually, most of the times I feel it's me who owes you all for allowing me to keep growing with you!

Having said that, who can say how many "imperfections" might make "too many", Ale? Andrea has recently made a point in her blog that it is our imperfections that make each of us unique... and don't you love wearing that T-shirt that reads "I'm different"? Perhaps the trick lies in learning to live "proud of our imperfections", instead of "struggling to get over them"? ...

As for Savater and Freud, I personally do not agree with the idea that our ethics is just an internalization of our parents' moral, if by that we mean an automatic "copy and paste" Do you think Savater took it for granted that Amador would take after him in this respect?

I'll check with our Psychology teachers to see if they can tell us how much choice Freud believed we had in this process.. Then we'll be able to tell for certain whether Savater would have agreed!

Love,
Gladys

GonC dijo...

Interesting topic. In my opinion it is not just internalization. Our own subjectivity (ego) processes our parent's values in its own way. It is a complicated process but the superego comes from the merger of our parent's expectations (ideal) and our own (ideal ego). As we grow older, the superego gains "independence" and it is harder to control and change.

here you have a brief summary of Freud's three-part model.

In Freud's three-part model of the mind, the superego plays the role of an internal monitor over the actions of the ego. Developing as individuals assimilate the standards of their families and cultures, the superego maintains the image of the ideal ego toward which the ego strives, and also serves as the center of "conscience"--and source of guilt. Where the ego works to sustain the individual's connection with the reality of the outside world, the superego works to sustain the individual's aspirations to the ideal.

Hope it was useful!

Regards,

G

AL dijo...

Thank you very much people for your comments!
I loved what you wrote Gladys that Andre said... It's completely true that it is our imperfections that make each of us unique!! And yes, you're right! I love wearing my t-shirt!
Just because "I'm Different"!
Regarding the "copy and paste" of our parents' values and moral I don't actually believe that it was that what Savater meant... I think that the only thing he wanted to do is to force his son to reflect and think critically about his life, his choices and what he believes in...
And well, finally, thank you very much Gonazalo J. for your colaboration to my blog! :) It's great for me to know that someone is interesting in what we are discussing and reflecting here! :D
I think, and if you don't mind, it would be great if you tell us how you've found this blog and if maybe one of us happens to know you... or just tell us something about you! :) :D
And please do go on visiting my blog! It's something great!

Thanks a lot!

Ale

nico un cachilo dijo...

me perdi....help?