domingo, 16 de septiembre de 2007

Act 1 - Scene 2

As the story develops, we come to know more about both Rita and Frank. She finds it very difficult to leave behind her previous experiences in life in order to be able to be 'educated' by Frank. That's why she has problems with her first essay. She (as many of us most of the times) cannot 'criticise' Howards End without feeling discouraged by the author's opinion ('We are not concerned with the poor'). However, Frank finds the way to show (teach) Rita that we may not always agree with what we read (or with what we are faced in life) and, all the same, we will be always able to take something good from it (there are people with whom we agree and people who does not agree with us). I really believe that Frank is trying to show her that we have to be respectful upon others, their views and values...However, it is true that Rita may not be ready to accept this diversity yet, but I do believe that she will learn it sooner or later. We just have to give her more time! Because we can be sure that she'll be able to do it!

'Is this the absolute maximum I
can expect from this livin' lark?'
Rita


Regarding what Rita thinks about the proper students I would say that she thinks so simply because they are the ones that 'come here all time', she seems to have the 'typical' and 'ordinary' view of what a student is, i.e. students are the one that go to school. Consequently, Rita does not see herself as a proper student simply because she does not go to school. So, it doesn't matter if she is studying or learning she won't be a proper student as she does not go to school.
Finally, regarding Rita's opinion about Frank's room, I think that she just likes it. She said that although it's a mess, it's a perfect one. I think that Frank's description is great 'I just moved in. The rest sort of happened.' What Rita likes is the fact that he has not even taken a moment for arranging it. 'It's like wherever you've put something down it's grown to fit there.'

3 comentarios:

Gladys Baya dijo...

So.. do you believe we need to "leave our background behind" in order to get an education, Ale? (I wonder if you've already heard of the concept of subtractive learning"...).

Besides, I'm afraid I don't quite agree with your idea that to Rita anyone who goes to school is a "proper student". After all ,she's already attending school, isn't she? And how can you account for the fact that she thinks Frank's room is "a mess" and yet "perfect"? Whose criteria do you think she's applying?

Happy blogging!
Gladys

AL dijo...

Hi Gladys!

First of all, I think that I've not explained myself clearly enough since I didn't mean that we have to leave our background behind! Of course not! What is more I trully believe that we are what we have lived! What I meant was that for Rita (and for any of us) in order to be able to learn (understand) what others think, write or say we just have to accept that we are all different and although we may not agree with others we should try to see it from their own eyes (as we all have different backgrounds, and we are what we have lived, we cannot possibly expect others to think as we do simply because we are all different)
Mind you, I'm not saying that Rita is 'guilty' for feeling sad at this writer's opinion! She is just defending herself and 'who she is' (part of 'the poor')... What she needs is time to learn that in order to be able to get an education we have to be respecful about other's views and ideas...

'Respect for Diversity' (as Dewey says)

Then, regarding Rita's view of the 'proper student' I think that I wasn't able to get the idea from the text :S
What comes to my mind right now is that maybe she means that only 'wealthy people' (those attending boarding schools) are 'proper students' for her simply because of her saying that she would love to go to a boarding school but she couldn't and also because of her description of the school she went as something 'totally useless' for she wasn't allowed to learn and study there...

And finally, regarding Frank's room I cannot exactly say why she says so and upon what she's based her criteria...This idea rings me a bell but I cannot remember... I should look it up...

Well, I hope I've more or less answered your questions! :)
See you!

AleZ

Gladys Baya dijo...

I've loved reading this comment of yours, Ale! :-) and yes, except for whose criteria Rita is taking into account to judge the appropriacy of Frank's room, yes, you've answered all my questions most clearly.

We'll come back to this question of whose criteria is being applied in education once and again throughout the play, so for the time being, all I want to add is...

thanks for blogging! (helps me keep growing, you know?)

Love,
Gladys